The Chartered Professionals in Human Resources of British Columbia and Yukon (“CPHR BC & Yukon”, “we” or “us”) is committed to protecting your privacy and safeguarding your personal information. The purpose of this privacy statement is to inform you about our privacy practices, including how we collect, use and disclose your personal information.
This privacy statement relates to all of our activities, unless we have provided you with a separate privacy statement for a particular product, service or activity.
Please review this privacy statement carefully. By submitting your personal information to us, by registering for or using any of the services we offer, or by using our website, you consent to our collecting, using and disclosing your personal information as set out in this privacy statement, as revised from time to time.
- Meaning of Personal Information
- Your Consent to Collection, Use and Disclosure
- Personal Information We Collect
- How We Use Your Personal Information
- How We Share Your Personal Information
- Opting Out of Communications
- Retention of Personal Information
- Information Security
- Accessing and Updating Your Personal Information
- International Transfer and Storage of Information
- Third Party Websites and Services
- Children’s Information
- Privacy Statement Updates
- Contact Us
Meaning of Personal Information
“Personal information” means information about an identifiable individual. This information may include, but is not limited to, your name, mailing address, e-mail address and telephone number.
Personal information does not include any business contact information that is solely used to communicate with you in relation to your employment, business or profession, such as your name, position name or title, work address, work telephone number, work fax number or work electronic address.
Your Consent to Collection, Use and Disclosure
We collect, use and disclose your personal information with your consent or as permitted or required by law. How we obtain your consent (i.e. the form we use) will depend on the circumstances, as well as the sensitivity of the information collected. Subject to applicable laws, your consent may be express or implied, depending on the circumstances and the sensitivity of the personal information in question. If you choose to provide personal information to us, we assume that you consent to the collection, use and disclosure of your personal information as outlined in this privacy statement.
Typically, we will seek your consent at the time your personal information is collected. Where we want to use your personal information for a purpose not previously identified to you at the time of collection, we will seek your consent prior to our use of such information for this new purpose.
You may withdraw your consent to our collection, use or disclosure of your personal information at any time by contacting us using the contact information in the “Contact Us” section below. However, before we implement the withdrawal of consent, we may require proof of your identity. In some cases, withdrawal of your consent may mean that we will no longer be able to provide certain products or services.
If you provide personal information about another individual to us, it is your responsibility to obtain the consent of that individual to enable us to collect, use and disclose his or her information as described in this privacy statement.
Personal Information We Collect
The information we collect is generally in one or more of the following categories.
- Services. We may collect information related to individuals who use our services, including both members and non-members of CPHR BC & Yukon, or who are involved in the provision of such services.
- For individuals who use our services, we may collect contact information, such as name, mailing address, e-mail address and telephone number, for the purpose of communicating with them. We may also collect profile information, such as age, gender, education level, competency level, areas of interest, and areas of HR specialization, for the purpose of better understanding our members and non-members and improving our services.
- For individuals involved in delivering our professional development services, we may collect contact and other information, including for example, evaluations of their speaking engagements for the purpose of improving such programs.
- Member Certification Information. We may collect information related to members of CPHR BC & Yukon who are in the process of obtaining or who have obtained the Chartered Professional in Human Resources designation, such as information on educational and other qualifications, work experience, and ongoing professional development required to demonstrate that individuals satisfy the requirements of the designation.
- Website. For individuals who visit our website located at https://cphrbc.ca/, or any of our related websites (collectively, “our website”), we may collect information related to activities on our website.
- Like most websites and other Internet services, we may collect certain technical and device information about the use of our website. Such information may include a user’s Internet protocol address, information about a user’s device, browser and operating system, and the date and time of the visit.
- Email Communications. For individuals who receive certain of our email communications, we may collect information about the emails we send. We may use third party services for e-mail marketing that use pixel tags and other methods to gather information about the emails they send on our behalf. Pixel tags are tiny graphic files that are included in HTML-encoded email messages. When such a message is opened in an HTML-capable email program, the recipient’s computer will access our service provider’s servers to retrieve the pixel tag file, allowing information to be collected such as email address, date and time the recipient viewed the email message (if the recipient’s email program is capable of receiving HTML) and other logging information. Our service providers use this information to optimize delivery of future messages and to provide information to us with respect to emails sent on our behalf.
- Other Interactions. For individuals who otherwise interact with us, whether in person, by phone or email, through social media or otherwise, including individuals who might be interested in becoming members of CPHR BC & Yukon or partnering with CPHR BC & Yukon, who sign-up to receive newsletters or other communications, or who respond to surveys and questionnaires, we may collect information that you provide to us during these interactions. This information may include your name, e-mail address and other contact information.
How We Use Your Personal Information
We may use your personal information and other information for purposes such as:
- to provide you with our products and services and to support your use of our products and services;
- to contact you relating to our products and services;
- to monitor and improve our products and services, and to develop new products and services;
- to analyze the needs and activities of our members to help us better serve them;
- to conduct research and analysis related to our operations, products and services;
- to respond to inquiries and other requests;
- to collect opinions and comments in regard to our products and services;
- to provide you with information that we think may interest you, including in regard to our products and services; and
- to investigate legal claims.
We may use your personal information and other information for purposes for which we have obtained your consent, and for such other purposes as may be permitted or required by applicable law.
How We Share Your Personal Information
The Association makes all efforts to ensure that personal information collected, used and disclosed for its intended uses is as accurate and complete as possible.Limited personal information of our members is shared online with other members of CPHR BC & Yukon in our online Member Directory. The Member Directory is provided for members to use solely on a one-to-one basis in pursuit of professional development or in relation to association matters. Abuse by any member of personal information contained in the Member Directory will be subject to penalties including cancellation of membership. The use of the Member Directory for offering goods and services for sale is strictly prohibited.
Members may opt out of having their information appear in the online Member Directory by contacting email@example.com or by using the contact information in the “Contact Us” section below.
We rely on third party services providers to perform a variety of services on our behalf, such as bulk mail and email distribution service providers, member benefit providers, payment card processers, hosting, data storage and processing service providers, and research and analytics providers.
If we provide your information to service providers, then we require that the service providers maintain the confidentiality of your personal information and keep your personal information secure. We also require that they only use your personal information for the limited purposes for which it is provided. When our service providers no longer need your personal information for those limited purposes, we require that they dispose of the personal information. In some circumstances, we may permit our service providers to retain aggregated, anonymized or statistical information that does not identify you. We do not authorize the service providers to disclose your personal information to unauthorized parties or to use your personal information for their direct marketing purposes. If you would like more information about our service providers, please contact us using the contact information in the “Contact Us” section below.
Additionally, we may use and disclose your information when we believe such use or disclosure is permitted, necessary or appropriate: (a) under applicable law, including laws outside your country of residence; (b) to comply with legal process; (c) to respond to requests from public and government authorities, including public and government authorities outside your country of residence; (d) to enforce the terms of the agreements for our products and services; (e) to protect our operations or those of any of our affiliates or subsidiaries; (f) to protect our rights, privacy, safety or property, and/or those of our affiliates, you or others; and (g) to allow us to pursue available remedies or limit the damages that we may sustain. In addition, we may transfer your personal information and other information to a third party in the event of any reorganization, merger, sale, joint venture, assignment, transfer or other disposition of all or any portion of our business, brands, affiliates, subsidiaries or other assets.
If we otherwise intend to disclose your personal information to a third party, we will identify that third party and the purpose for the disclosure, and obtain your consent.
Opting Out of Communications
If you no longer want to receive emails from us, you may opt out of receiving marketing-related emails by clicking on the “unsubscribe” links at the bottom of any marketing-related email you receive from us. You may also unsubscribe at any time through your online Profile on our website in the My Email Options section. You may also opt out by contacting us directly using the contact information in the “Contact Us” section below.
We will endeavour to respond to your opt-out request promptly, but we ask that you please allow us a reasonable time to process your request. Please note that if you opt out from receiving marketing-related emails, we may still need to send you communications about your use of our products or services, or other matters.
You may also opt out of receiving any hard copy mailings from CPHR BC & Yukon by contacting firstname.lastname@example.org or by using the contact information in the “Contact Us” section below
Retention of Personal Information
We will use, disclose or retain your personal information only for as long as necessary to fulfill the purposes for which that personal information was collected and as permitted or required by law.
We have implemented physical, organizational, contractual and technological security measures with a view to protecting your personal information and other information from loss or theft, unauthorized access, disclosure, copying, use or modification. We have taken steps to ensure that the only personnel who are granted access to your personal information are those with a business ‘need-to-know’ or whose duties reasonably require such information.
Despite the measure outlined above, no method of information transmission or information storage is 100% secure or error-free, so we unfortunately cannot guarantee absolute security. If you have reason to believe that your interaction with us is no longer secure (for example, if you feel that the security of any information that you provided to us has been compromised), please contact us immediately using the contact information in the “Contact Us” section below.
Accessing and Updating Your Personal Information
We will take steps to ensure that your personal information is kept as accurate, complete and up-to-date as reasonably necessary. We will not routinely update your personal information, unless such a process is necessary. We expect you, from time to time, to supply us with updates to your personal information, when required.
You may make a written request to review any personal information about you that we have collected, used or disclosed, and we will provide you with any such personal information to the extent required by law. You may also challenge the accuracy or completeness of your personal information in our records. If you successfully demonstrate that your personal information in our records is inaccurate or incomplete, we will amend the personal information as required.
We may require that you provide sufficient identification to fulfill your request to access or correct your personal information. Any such identifying information will be used only for this purpose.
International Transfer and Storage of Information
Your personal information may be stored and processed in any country where we have facilities or in which we engage third party service providers. As a result, your personal information may be transferred to countries outside your country of residence, which may have different data protection rules than in your country. While such information is outside of your country, it is subject to the laws of the country in which it is located, and may be subject to disclosure to the governments, courts or law enforcement or regulatory agencies of such other country, pursuant to the laws of such country.
Third Party Websites and Services
This privacy statement applies only to our products and services. This privacy statement does not extend to any websites or products or services provided by third parties. We do not assume responsibility for the privacy practices of such third parties, and we encourage you to review all third party privacy policies prior to using third party websites or products or services.
Our products and services are not intended for children under the age of 16, and we do not knowingly collect personal information from children under the age of 16. Children under the age of 16 should not use our products and services and should not provide us with their personal information.
Privacy Statement Updates
This privacy statement is current as of the “updated” date which appears at the top of this page. We may modify this privacy statement from time to time. When changes are made to this privacy statement they will become immediately effective when published in a revised privacy statement posted on our website unless otherwise noted. We may also communicate the changes through our services or by other means. By submitting your personal information to us, by registering for or using any of the services we offer, by using our website, or by voluntarily interacting with us after we publish or communicate a notice about the changes to this privacy statement, you consent to our collecting, using and disclosing your personal information as set out in the revised privacy statement.
All comments, questions, concerns or complaints regarding your personal information or our privacy practices should be sent to our Privacy Officer as follows:
Attention: Privacy Officer
Chartered Professionals in Human Resources of British Columbia and Yukon
1101 – 1111 West Hastings Street
Vancouver, BC V6E 2J3