CPHR BC & Yukon is connected to several post-secondary institutions throughout the province which offer academic programs/studies in human resources management. CPHR BC & Yukon student members use this connection to support their educational pursuits toward a career in the human resources.
- Learn how students can save over 75% on a CPHR BC & Yukon membership.
- Find out about the New Graduate membership rate.
- Check out the academic institutions in BC offering human resources programs.
At CPHR BC & Yukon, there are eight regions throughout BC and the Yukon which have a School Liaison Portfolio whose role is to develop relationships with the regions’ post-secondary institutions. Through these strong links the student membership flourishes and programs and services are developed to support our future HR professionals.
Student Ambassadors, who are members of CPHR BC & Yukon, may be appointed to foster the relationships between the institution’s students, faculty, staff and CPHR BC & Yukon. These roles are typically available at the end of the school year in preparation for the next year. This provides an excellent opportunity for our student members to get involved with their professional association.
Student Events and Programs
CPHR BC & Yukon undertakes and supports many post-secondary events and programs across BC. These vary from region to region and may include:
- HR Industry Nights – speak directly with HR professionals about what it is like in their job and how they got there
- Student Summit – an annual virtual summit with speakers, networking and more
- On-campus HR Clubs – student-lead HR groups (at some schools)
- Case Competitions – see below
- Student Ambassador – see below
- Scholarships – see below
CPHR BC & Yukon, along with our partners at CPHR Alberta, bring together teams of students from post-secondary business programs across Western Canada for a one-of-a-kind learning experience rolled into an action-packed weekend. Student teams are faced with a comprehensive business case that explores a pressing HR challenge identified by working CPHRs. It’s a great opportunity to connect post-secondary students with industry professionals, gain real-world knowledge by completing the case study, and you can win cash prizes! Find more information here.
A Student Ambassador is a bridge between CPHR BC & Yukon and their post-secondary institution. This is an opportunity for enthusiastic, career driven HR students who want to make a difference in their community. CPHR BC & Yukon Student Ambassadors will have the chance to inspire other students and enhance their post-secondary experience; building upon their resume and professional network.
CPHR BC & Yukon values diversity, equity and inclusion (DEI) and we are attuned to the strength and value that DEI brings to our association. In an effort to effectively represent our membership, and encourage diverse perspectives, CPHR BC & Yukon is committed to being inclusive at all levels. It is very important that our advocacy and programming efforts are inclusive of all people, especially those from communities that have been traditionally marginalized. We invite participation from members of all ethnicities, genders, ages, abilities, religions, and sexual orientation and encourage those interested in volunteering to share any relevant information about lived experience or background in the more information section at the end of the application.
*This is a volunteer role for students who are members of the association at the time of application.
“Being a CPHR student ambassador has opened up the door for numerous opportunities that I would otherwise have missed. I was able to build a strong HR network, learn and grow alongside stellar HR professionals, and accomplish personal development. My biggest takeaway? – I chose HR because this is what I love, but now I love what I do in HR.”Tracy Choi, Student Ambassador for KPU 2020-2021
How to Apply
Qualified and interested students (you must be a student member with CPHR BC & Yukon to apply) may apply via the Student Ambassador Application Form. As well as completing an online application, you must also include:
- Current resume
- Letter of recommendation from professor or employer
- Proof of post-secondary registration and GPA of 2.5 or higher
Once you have these ready, you may apply through the following links which are updated throughout the year depending on opening/application dates in each region.
- Central Interior – CLOSED
- Thompson Rivers University
- Thompson Rivers University
- Lower Mainland – All SA positions for 2023-2024 have been filled. Applications will open again in February 2024. Please ensure that you have read the Role Description and Accountabilities for SA’s before you apply to ensure you meet the application criteria.
- Acsenda School of Management – FILLED
- BCIT – HR Diploma Program – FILLED
- Capilano University – FILLED
- Douglas College – FILLED
- Kwantlen Polytechnic University – FILLED
- SFU – Continuing Studies Certificate – FILLED
- SFU – Beedie School of Business – FILLED
- UBC – Sauder School of Business – FILLED
- University Canada West – FILLED
- University of the Fraser Valley – FILLED
- Trinity Western University – FILLED
- Northern Region – CLOSED
- University of Northern BC
- College of New Caledonia
- Northern Lights College
- North West Community College
- Southern Interior – CLOSED
- Okanagan College
- University of British Columbia – Okanagan Campus
- Selkirk College
- College of the Rockies
- Vancouver Island – Apply HERE
- Camosun College
- North Island College
- Royal Roads University
- University of Victoria
- Vancouver Island University
Scholarships & Bursaries
CPHR BC & Yukon supports several annual scholarships and bursaries throughout the province. The size of the award, nature and terms of reference vary from region to region and school to school. For most scholarships & bursaries please contact your school directly for information and how to apply. We currently support a variety of scholarships & bursaries in the following schools:
- Capilano University
- University of British Columbia Sauder School of Business
- British Columbia Institute of Technology
- Simon Fraser University Beedie School of Business
- Kwantlen Polytechnic University
- Trinity Western University
- University of the Fraser Valley
- Camosun College – James Rowland Scholarship, Opening Doors Scholarship and CPHR BC & Yukon Bursary
Contact your regional Member Relations Manager for more information.