March 4 & 5, 2022 Victoria, BC
Applications Open to November 19th – CLICK HERE
CPHR BC & Yukon, along with our partners at CPHR Alberta, bring together teams of students from post-secondary business programs across Western Canada to test classroom learning by merging theory with real-life simulations in a competitive environment in a case competition dedicated entirely to the field of HR. This two-day event provides post-secondary students teams with a unique opportunity to:
- Access a unique platform for the exchange of ideas with HR students from across Western Canada;
- Test what they have learned in the classroom with a comprehensive business case that explores a pressing HR challenge identified by working CPHRs;
- Meet and network with HR industry leaders;
- A one-of-a-kind learning experience rolled into an action-packed weekend; and last but not least…
- The potential to win prize money!
- November 19, 2021 – Applications open to apply to participate – CLICK HERE
- December 1, 2021 – All applicants notified of status
- January 15, 2022 – Participating schools complete additional registration form for Coach(es) and Team Members and submit payment of $700 + GST.
- March 4 & 5, 2021 – HRC West Case Competition
Each participating institution may register one team only. Participating institutions may choose to add further selection criteria for participants at their own discretion. Minimum requirements for participants include:
- Registered student of the participating educational institution
- Actively enrolled in one or more undergraduate courses at the time of the case competition
- Have taken, or are taking, at least one undergraduate human resources course
- Have completed one full year of undergraduate study at the time of the case competition
Schools are responsible for assembling their representative team based on the above eligibility criteria. Competition teams must consist of three members and one alternate.
To prevent bias in judging, each team is also required to submit a unique team name that does not reveal their post-secondary institution.
- Camosun College, Interurban Campus, 4461 Interurban Road, Victoria, BC V9E 2C1
- Closest local airport is Victoria International, or travel by car and BC Ferries.
- Accommodations: Please visit Tourism Victoria or Hello BC for detailed information about Victoria hotels.
Competition Format for 2022
A welcome event will take place on the evening of Friday, March 4, 2022. A random draw will be done that will determine team start times for Saturday, March 5, 2022. Saturday morning we will have a light breakfast available and teams will be directed to workrooms and provided with a copy of the case at their assigned time.
Every team will have three full hours to review the case and prepare a response. Immediately after their preparation time, the teams will present to a group of judges, using PowerPoint as their presentation tool. Once all first-round presentations are completed, participants will break for lunch.
Following lunch, the top four teams will be announced. The four finalist teams will present to a new panel of judges, in front of an audience of their fellow competitors, first round judges, sponsors and association staff.
An awards reception will be held late Saturday afternoon where the winners will be announced and all HRC West participants will be celebrated!
All judges will be CPHR BC & Yukon or CPHR Alberta volunteers. They will be comprised of senior managers, directors, executives, analysts, consultants and entrepreneurs.
All judges will follow follow the same judging template, which will be available for viewing on our website, after your final payment has been received by the deadline of January 15, 2022. Judges will also receive training prior to their involvement in the competition.
Teams will be provided with a clean laptop with MS Office Software, internet access and a clean memory stick when they enter the case room. The memory stick is to be used to store the team’s presentation. Light internet usage is permitted. Communication with anyone outside the event is not. A volunteer observer will be situated at the door of each workroom during the case preparation process.
- blank paper
- personal items such as water bottles/Kleenex
Items not permitted in work rooms include:
- smart phones or any other personal electronic devices
- any item with internet capabilities or the ability to hold digital documents
- notes, preparatory work or study guides
Space is limited so please register early to avoid disappointment. CPHR BC & Yukon reserves the right to decline registrations, if necessary, due to space limitations.
Team registration is $700 plus GST (Registration #119446714) and teams will be directed to payment following acceptance for the 2022 HRC West Case Competition.
For more information contact Carolyne Taylor, Member Relations Manager – firstname.lastname@example.org
In Partnership With: