A Student Ambassador is a bridge between CPHR BC & Yukon and their post-secondary institution. This is an opportunity for enthusiastic, career driven HR students who want to make a difference in their community. CPHR BC & Yukon Student Ambassadors will have the chance to inspire other students and enhance their post-secondary experience; building upon their resume and professional network. This is a volunteer role for students who are members of the association at the time of application.
“I urge you to contribute to your institutes HR community through the CPHR BC & Yukon student ambassador role. The role allowed me to learn more about myself through supporting my peers and community. The connections that I witnessed my peers make, were rewarding!” – Samantha Savoy, CPHR BC & Yukom Student Ambassador for KPU 2019-2020.
A summary of the role and application pre-requisites are;
- Represent/be the face of CPHR BC & Yukon on campus
- Support CPHR BC & Yukon strategic objectives, particularly those of the regional Advisory Council
- Interact and engage HR students, faculty and staff in CPHR BC & Yukon activities and opportunities
- Develop strong networks within the local HR community
- Be a student member in good standing of CPHR BC & Yukon
- Be enrolled in a Post-Secondary institution (listed below) in a Human Resources Program (preferably a 3rd or 4th year student in a HR undergraduate program, or 2nd year student in a HR diploma program) and be planning to be in school for the 2020-20201 school year starting Sept 2020
- Where an HR Club exists at the school, be a member, and ideally a leader of same – (nice to have not a requirement)
- Academic Standing of 2.5 GPA or greater
- Expose your post-secondary community to the CPHR BC & Yukon association to increase the profile of both the association and the HR profession with the aim of growing student membership:
- Be familiar with, and promote, information to fellow students on the range of benefits & programs, such as the CPHR designation, mentoring program, networking events, job board, scholarships, HR Toolkit etc.;
- Assist or conduct information sessions and presentations (in person or online/virtual) on CPHR BC & Yukon and the HR profession on campus;
- Maintain a good relationship and active communications with relevant HR staff and faculty at the school who are willing to play a support and advisory role; and
- Be a champion of the NKE Accreditation Agreement (if one exists) on campus.
- Provide a conduit of information between the local student members and the association, and vice versa to continually improve member service.
- Participate in and attend appropriate other local CPHR BC & Yukon events.
- Participate in and increase social media presence as it relates to the role. Ensure any HR club webpages/platforms are accurate and up to date.
- Be available to answer questions from all relevant parties (or refer them to appropriate staff or resources).
- Attend Student Ambassador meetings with the Advisory Council Post-Secondary portfolios and staff as appropriate.
- Help recruit a replacement Student Ambassador when own term is up, and ensure a smooth transition.
- Strong organizational, time management, and communication skills
- Ability to work with Google documents or other file sharing platforms including #slack
- Outgoing, enthusiastic with great leadership skills
- Innovative and self starter who takes initiative
Students will have the opportunity to:
- Gain a better understanding of CPHR BC & Yukon
- Create a broader professional network within the local HR community
- Improve their knowledge and skills of the HR profession
- Gain experience to build their resume
- Have an opportunity for meaningful volunteer, making a difference for their fellow students
- Receive their next Student Membership renewal (or equivalent amount) complimentary
Commitment & Timeline
The Student Ambassador cycle follows the academic year of September to June. Ideally the Ambassador will be in place at the beginning of the academic year so recruitment occurs before the summer break i.e. March – May. The commitment is for each period is one academic year. Students may be Ambassadors for more than one year. Time commitment approximately 3-5 hours a month, although this may vary significantly depending on activities.
Optional Volunteer Opportunity
Each regional Advisory Council has a number of portfolios with sub-committees for which recruitment, duties and timelines are determined locally. Student Ambassadors may apply for these roles or other projects/assignments as determined by the AC Portfolio.
How to Apply
Qualified and interested students may apply via the Student Ambassador Application Form. Application includes:
- Current resume
- Letter of recommendation from professor
- Proof of post-secondary registration and GPA
Once you have these ready, you may apply through the following links for the schools that presently have openings;
We are now accepting applications for our 2020-2021 school year. Deadlines are differ per region. Please see deadlines below
- Central Interior – Apply HERE
- Thompson Rivers University
- Coastal Vancouver – Contact Quinne Davey to apply
- UBC – Sauder School of Business – FILLED
- Capilano University – OPEN
- Langara College – FILLED
- SFU – Continuing Studies – OPEN
- Acsenda School of Management – FILLED
- Fraser Valley – Contact Quinne Davey to apply
- Kwantlen Polytechnic University – FILLED
- University of the Fraser Valley – FILLED
- Trinity Western University – FILLED
- Greater Vancouver – Contact Quinne Davey to apply
- BCIT – FILLED
- Douglas College – OPEN
- Simon Fraser University – Beedie School of Business – OPEN
- Northern Region – Apply HERE
- University of Northern BC
- College of New Caledonia
- Northern Lights College
- North West Community College
- Southern Interior – Apply HERE
- Okanagan College
- University of British Columbia – Okanagan Campus
- Selkirk College
- College of the Rockies
- Vancouver Island – Apply HERE
- Camosun College
- North Island College
- Royal Roads University
- University of Victoria
- Vancouver Island University