The Experience Requirement is the final formal step in earning the CPHRTM designation. Certification candidates are required to demonstrate three or more years of professional experience in human resources within the last ten years.
This requirement came into effect on January 1, 2013 and replaced the National Professional Practice Assessment® (NPPA).
Experience has always been an integral component in achieving the CPHRTM designation. This requirement asks HR practitioners to:
- Demonstrate that they have worked in an HR role for a minimum of three years.
- Demonstrate that the total of three years experience has been gained within the last ten years.
- Demonstrate that experience has been gained at the professional level, which means that you must be using technical HR knowledge and have a level of autonomy in the application of your HR knowledge. Duties that are purely administrative requiring no HR knowledge do not count. You do not need to be a manager or a supervisor to be able to acquire the necessary experience.
- Demonstrate that the experience aligns with competencies in at least two of the nine functional dimensions of the CPHRTM Competency Framework unless specialized in one of the functional areas. (For more detailed information, please refer to the framework’s Appendix A Classification System)
HR practitioners can work toward the Experience Requirement in any sector of the economy: industry, government, public practice, professional associations, education, healthcare, or not-for-profits – essentially anywhere that has a human resources function. Please note: teaching experience of full-time HR instructors and professors counts toward the experience requirement.
Validation of Experience Process
Once you have passed the NKE and satisfied the degree requirement, you are eligible to submit documentation of your experience for assessment.
- Complete the CPHRTM Validation of Experience form and have it verified by your current employer.
- Submit completed form along with current resume to:
- Email: email@example.com,
- Fax: 604.684.3225, or
- Mail: CPHR Registrar, CPHR BC & YK
1101 – 1111 West Hastings Street, Vancouver, BC, V6E 2J3
- Purchase $100 CPHRTM Experience Assessment Review fee through Online Store.
|Submission process open||Submission deadline date||Review deadline date||Results notification date|
|January 1||February 15||March 15||April 1|
|April 1||May 15||June 15||July 1|
|August 1||September 15||October 15||November 1|
- $100 CPHRTM Experience Assessment Review Fee
- $400 CPHRTM Experience Assessment Certification Fee
payable each time a validation of experience form is submitted for review
payable upon approval of experience requirement
Notification of Results
Successful candidates will be notified by email on the dates in the table above and CPHRTM certificates will be issued following this date.
Unsuccessful candidates will be notified of the gaps in their experience assessment. Once the required experience has been gained, you will be eligible to re-submit. There is no limit to the number of times an individual may apply.
For more information on the Experience Requirement, please refer to the related Frequently Asked Questions.